Cochran Lodge No. 271 Ancient, Free & Accepted Masons

Over 120 years of Freemasonry in The Plains Virginia.

History Of Cochran Lodge No. 271

Over 120 years of Freemasonry in The Plains Virginia.

The Lodge is named after John Twohig Cochran who was:

Under Construction

The Masonic Lodge at the Plains, Virginia was organized on a site near the present Post Office. The Plains Lodge U.D., held its first meeting on December 29, 1898, and continued to work "Under Dispensation" until the Grand Lodge of Virginia met in Alexandria, Virginia on December 15, 1899, and issued the Lodge a Charter under the name of Cochran Lodge No. 271. On December 27, 1899, St. John's Day, Dr. H. R. Green, District Deputy Grand Master, constituted the Lodge.

Alexandria Washington Lodge No. 22 performed ceremonies incident to the dedication of the Lodge building, September 3, 1904.

On May 21, 2014 the Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Historic Resources listed "The Plains Historic District" which includes Cochran Lodge in the National Register of Historic Places with the United States Department of Interior National Park Service.

In November 2018 there was a Masonic District realignment and Cochran Lodge No. 271 was moved from Masonic District No. 3 to Masonic District No. 4